We all know this famous Ferrari California from Ferris Bueller’s Day off. With prices approaching twenty million for many of the originals, owning one is just a dream for most of us.
As a designer and inventor, I enjoy working on all kinds of unique and interesting projects. This 1959 Ferrari California 250GT was no exception. I designed and built this car over a period of five years. It now resides in Beverly Hills, California with a view that overlooks the ocean.
This car is entirely hand made by skilled artisans from Italy, United Kingdom and the USA. Many of the parts are from original cars and were found all over the world.
Recreation of a 1959 Ferrari California 250GT LWB.
BUILD: Custom built from the frame up.
WHEELS: The polished aluminum wheels were hand made in Millan, Italy specifically for this car and based on the ones used on a few early LWB models. These specially made “outer laced” wheels allowed us to use safer, more modern disc brakes. There are only two correct tires for these cars. Either Pirelli or Blockley rally tires. As with all wire wheels, tubes are a must have and are installed on these wheels.
When comparing cars, refer to the LWB Californias and not the 1961 SWB everyone seems to know. This car based on a 1959 LWB, and not a 1961 SWB which looks very different.
- Interior and other details based on the James Coburn California.
- Working fire suppression system.
- New stock, original RW4603 16″ X 6″ Borrani Wire Wheels (correct for this one particular vehicle style).
- New stock, original rally Blockley tube tires.
- V12 Jaguar 5.3L rebuilt and modified for this car.
- Modified fire wall for proper fit of the V12 engine.
- PWM controlled dual electric cooling fans.
- 5 Speed manual Tremec transmission
- Weber Carburetors.
- Ferrari California interior and exterior door handles (Alfa Romeo).
- Ferrari 250GT stainless steel hand made bumpers and overriders.
- Custom fiberglass body and welded steel frame.
- Correct turn signal, fog and license plate lights.
- Racing grade and silent power steering pump.
- Nardi wood steering wheel.
- Adjustable height racing shocks.
- Stylish Deist racing shoulder harnesses and seat belts.
- Correct U.K. sourced stainless side view mirrors. (Italians did not ship original cars with seat belts or side mirrors!)
- Beautiful steering column with correct chrome signal bell.
- Wilwood disc brakes.
- Stunning leather wrapped Becker Europa radio center console with chrome accents.
- In trunk gas fill exactly like original car.
- Beautiful leather documents case and Italian made leather accents.
- Ferrari ash tray.
- Rally stop watches.
- Fully functional black cloth convertible top.
- Show quality Ferrari black paint color.
- Custom designed brass and nickel plated trunk release. (Bela!)